In the flurry of activities and tasks that come with starting a new job, I’ve been finding it harder to settle myself down to write my blog each week. But I’m determined to show up and publish something. When I show up faithfully, Holy Spirit is already waiting for me. He is more faithful than I could ever be.
I love how creativity works in this relationship with him, or how being in relationship with him spurs us on and inspires us to use our creative gifts to bring glory and honor to him.
This morning I was reflectively reading Isaiah Chapters 40-44. And what I saw there was how grand and exceedingly EXTRA God is in every way. I simply want to extol him and ascribe to him all that he is due.
- Where he has knowledge, he has all knowledge beyond compare, and seeks no counselors to advise him.
- Where he is vast and majestic, sitting “above the circle of the earth,” he makes us look like grasshoppers.
- Where he has mercy, he “never grows faint or weary…no one can measure the depths of his understanding.”
- Where he is creative, he spins out stars, “one after another, calling each by name.”
- When he is tender and protective, he feeds his flocks and carries the lambs in his arms, holding them close to his heart.”
- When he renders judgment, he is perfectly just, and “will not stop until truth and righteousness prevail throughout the earth.”
- When he makes a covenant, he never fails to confirm it and fulfill everything he has promised.
- When he sees his people in trouble, he comes near with exceedingly great compassion and words of comfort: “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine.”
I could go further, of course. These are only a few passages that attempt to describe the extraordinary greatness and goodness and power of our God. This sums it up, and these are his words, not mine:
“You have been chosen to know me, believe in me, and understand that I alone am God. There is no other God; there never has been and never will be. I am the LORD and there is no other Savior.”
These days I have to shield myself from the consciousness of the extent of foolishness and wickedness displayed by our human leaders. When I look at earthly realities face on, I am so sickened that it makes it hard for me to function at my best.
Instead, I need to fix my gaze on this God who knows the end from the beginning. This one who never falls or fails. This one I can only adore because I can’t hope to ever understand him. He is so EXTRA in every way!